For Lent I have decided to remove coffee from my daily routine. This is because I am aware that I have become dependent on having my daily coffee before hashes to ensure that I didn’t fall asleep. However, because of this constant coffee intake I began to feel jittery and but also became dependent on it.
At the beginning I found it hard not to drink coffee as it had become a necessity to ensure that I got through hashes during the day. So, to replace this habit I have started drinking Green Tea instead. I can really feel a difference in my work and physical performance and I would really recommend it.
Drinking tea has been scientifically proven to have many beneficial effects on your health. including:
- Green tea is considered to be a ‘superfood’ and by far the healthiest beverage
- Green tea contains a lot of antioxidants and large amounts of nutrients
- Compounds in green tea can improve brain function
- Green tea naturally energizes you by the small amounts of caffeine it contains (not as much as coffee and does not cause the ‘jittery’ feeling
- Green tea improves physical performance and increases fat burning
- Antioxidants in the tea help reduce the risk of various cancers
All these points hopefully make Green Tea seem more appealing to you and I hope that I have made you think about the powers it can have on your body. Hopefully I am going to continue my Lent detox by drinking Green Tea as opposed to coffee.
Izzy Huber (V, 1YS)